Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Amy the Intern

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve written anything!

So I’ve been interning at a local Community Health organization; I’m documenting one of their IT processes—drawing process maps and writing procedures.  It’s pretty interesting work.  I’ve been working about 3 days per week, 6 hours per day.  Gosh, if only I could keep that schedule forever!  It’s been nice to have plenty of time at home, and still have time to interact with adults. 

They like me.  It feels really nice to feel like I’m contributing something, and to feel like part of a team.

Though interning is a bit weird.  The relationship building is different when you know you are only going to interact with people for a few weeks. 

I’m learning something I’ve always known… the quality / process improvement activities are low priority in a lot of people’s minds.  I’m not sure that I’d like to continue a career in process improvement.  I think I’d like to explore other avenues of leadership and bring my process improvement skills with me, but not as the primary purpose of my position.

Granted, I know every position has its challenges, but I do prefer feeling like people think my position is vital as opposed to a nuisance. 

I’m learning a lot.  Not so much about office politics and how things work (like I’m thinking many of my younger classmates are), but I’m listening (overhearing) IT service desk calls, and hearing how different applications support the operations, getting a feel for how the healthcare specific elements fit into a regular business structure.  I hear terms used in context, etc. 

All in all, things are good!  I’m pretty much living the charmed life… without the disposable income.  LOL

1 comment:

  1. Glad it's going well, though I know this is an old post and you're well into your summer now. Hoping next semester brings you fantastic challenges and opportunities!

    ReplyDelete