Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The first day of school

Second Grade begins Well, we all survived.  My oldest just walked in through the door, quickly talked about his day, and jetted off across the street.  I'm so glad to hear how much he likes it so far.  He was (awkwardly) sitting on my lap, and I said "you aren't my baby anymore."  He smiled a big, teeth-coming-in smile and said, "but I always will be in your memories!"  I love his sweet brain.

Today is the first time I was home for him to come home to me.  It makes the differentness of life sink in that much more.  A whole new routine.

Give in to bitterness?
My old boss contacted me today, asking for some information.  I'd be lying if I didn't say that I struggled hard deciding what to do.  I've always been helpful.  I used to teach people how to use applications at work.  Even though "IT trainer" wasn't anywhere near my job description, it helped QUALITY and standardization.  So I pitched in where I could.  But the bitter part of me didn't want to help today.  What a new sensation that was.  It's the first time I can recall where I actually wanted to withhold information that could help somebody. 

So I asked a friend.  I pretty much knew what she was going to say.  I guess because I really DID want to help and needed some encouragement to do the right thing.  Otherwise, I'd have selected a different person to talk to... So I ended up helping my old boss.  Besides, I quite like him.  Still.  (Truth be told, I think he had little, if anything, to do with my current employment status).

The vote of confidence
In other news, the old boss also forwarded contact information to me from the Quality Auditor/ consultant that I've worked with over the past 5 years.  Seems the Auditor/Consultant wanted to share information on how to contract for his company.  How nice!  Not only for the potential income/job, but also for the vote of confidence.  These little nuggets keep me from going insane from self-doubt.  Like another friend says, I have mad skills.

The schedule
The schedule (read: shhh-ed-ju-well) is coming along.  Though I've found myself to be quite addicted to the "Mafia Wars" application on facebook.  So I have to peel myself away from virtually killing strangers to wipe down the kitchen cabinets with orange oil.   The morning looks like this: Off to school, morning chores (flylady.net), and then storytime at a library.  Though we missed storytime today.  But everything in good time, right?  Next step: swimming lessons for the little tyke.  Yoga for mom in the afternoon.

Yoga
Speaking of yoga, I've been unsuccessful at doing it with the boys.  They just get silly, and I fear for my health.  Now that school has started, and naptime will leave me with TIME... I will do it then.  I do miss it.

Healthcare industry / Job outlook
Does anyone have any insight into the medical / healthcare community?  I've been reading a bit on the job outlook and there seems to be conflicting information.  Some say the healthcare MBA is a ticket to success in the industry.  Others say that without a BSN attatched to it, it's virtually worthless. I'm assuming that like many topics, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I've read that Lean/Six Sigma is just as valuable as a BSN to get into the industry, and I have to imagine that some might have no professional experience at all, or perhaps have degrees from less robust programs, or perhaps they interview poorly.  I just don't want to set myself up for failure.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment